Best Herbs and Natural Ingredients to Reverse Loose, Sagging Skin
Trying to find the fountain of youth can be daunting, especially since aging is such a dynamic occurrence and can require multiple forms of treatment.
We know that wrinkles and sagging occur when the skin loses elasticity, and when our bodies produce less collagen during the aging process. We posted 6 Tips to Firm Your Skin Naturally, in a previous blog where we shared treatments and techniques that can aid in boosting the skin’s production of collagen and elastin.
Here we'll focus on the BEST herbal or otherwise natural ingredients to power up those treatments, and reverse sagging and wrinkles. We use these ingredients, in different forms such as extracts, to formulate the most effective line of natural skin care.
Nature provides a bounty of substances that have the power to aid the body in the production of collagen and elastin, and can help reduce or reverse skin damage. These products are found in plants and we can group them into four categories.
NATURAL PRODUCTS THAT BOOST COLLAGEN AND ELASTIN
- Hydrating: Compounds that contain water and provide moisture.
- Astringents: Substances that clean the skin and constrict the pores.
- Antioxidants: Substances that inhibit oxidation or can counteract the damaging effects of oxidation.
- Retinoids: Vitamin A derivatives which help with cellular turnover and keep the skin plump.
BEST NATURAL INGREDIENTS TO RELIEVE LOOSE & SAGGY SKIN
- Witch Hazel extract contains tannins that can tighten skin tissue and reduce the appearance of large pores, thereby tonifying the skin.
- Green Tea is perhaps the most well-known medicinal herb. It is both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory, that soothes, protects, and corrects skin issues.
- Kigelia Africana extracts made from various parts of the plant are known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Kigelia Africana extracts have a long tradition of medicinal use in African indigenous communities. As a natural skin care ingredient, it has a softening and tightening effect.
- Algaes (Nannochloropsis & Pullulan) are full of nourishing minerals and vitamins as well as astringents and antioxidant compounds. Algae have hydrating properties that simultaneously draw and lock moisture into the skin naturally, helping to plump sagging skin as it tightens and firms. Algae-rich products such as our in Firming Serum and the Varix Firming Body Lotion for cellulite are highly effective.
ANTIOXIDANTS & VITAMIN C
- Green Tea: An antioxidant and astringent powerhouse contains many active constituents that contain antioxidant capability, most notably the polyphenol Epigallocatechin Gallete (EGCG).
- Amla / Amalaki Berry, the Indian Gooseberry, or Fruit of Heaven, is known as one of the most supportive natural herbal products, containing almost 20 times more Vitamin C than oranges, and used for a myriad of traditional ayurvedic medicinal purposes. Amalaki’s superpowers are Antioxidant, Antipyretic, Analgesic, Cytoprotective, Anti-ulcer, Immune modulatory, Anti Inflammatory, Antitussive, and Gastro-protective.
- Vitamin C is great for skin health. Not only does it help the skin heal from sun damage, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, dryness, and aging, but it also aids in repairing damaged collagen and elastin which are essential to the elasticity of our skin.
- Retinol is a very active form of Vitamin A which helps with cellular turnover and keeps skin young.
- Retinyl Palmitate (also known as Vitamin A Palmitate) can increase Collagen, reduce wrinkles and improve skin tone without being as harsh on the skin. You can find these in our Rejuvenating Oil Complex, Wrinkle and Line Correcting Serum, and Eye Cream Complex.
Natural skin care products, over any other, are some of the best known to effectively fight the signs of aging. There are many great ingredients out there to help firm your skin. If you're looking to battle those fine lines and saggy skin, consider using some of the ingredients above—you may be surprised by just how effective they can be!
Want to try out your own lotion for saggy skin? Check out our DIY VIDEO:
Want to learn more about Natural Care of Aging Skin? Check out our previous Blog to learn more about How to treat Wrinkles & Sagging - Naturally
Want more in depth information to different skin care ingredients? Follow our new Vella series on Amazon Kindle to read monthly episodes on the most popular ingredients in skin care, how to use them and why with our new Quick Guide to Natural Skin Care Ingredients.
National Institute of Health - Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Kigelia africana (Lam.) Benth.
RD Alchemy – Antioxidants for Aging Skin
RD Alchemy – Best Natural Products for Acne
RD Alchemy – 5 Herbs Rich in Natural Vitamin C
RD Alchemy - 6 Beautifying Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid!
RD Alchemy – What Causes Saggy Skin, Spots and Wrinkles?