Stress & Skin Health- A Direct (and Indirect) Connection
Do You Know The Role That Stress And Emotions Can Play On Your Skin, Hair, And Nails?
Ever notice that when you feel you are maxed out on the stress-o-meter, your appearance begins to suffer too? Hair starts thinning, nails become brittle, unexplained breakouts and inflamed skin become more visible. All of these physical symptoms reflect the mental state of your emotional well-being. Lowering your stress level today, tomorrow, and for the future will improve your health and the quality of life and ultimately shine through to your skin and beyond.
How Stress Can Change Your SkinAs we know stress works in mysterious ways, especially when it comes to skin. Stress induced hormones of Cortisol and Adrenaline can exacerbate skin conditions and cause other hormones to become unbalanced, leading to a growing cascade of other issues. Rosacea can flare up more frequently with multiple shades of red showing up out of nowhere. Acne lesions become greater and more inflamed and spats of fever blisters, Psoriasis and Eczema may appear overnight. Stress leads to the disruption of the skin’s natural oil-to-moisture content and allows irritants and allergens to penetrate more easily, creating unwanted skin problems including newly noticed skin sensitivities where they may not have been before. At times, even overuse of products or products with poor quality ingredients can externally stress skin out and exacerbate the situation at hand.
Treating Stress and Skin Health Together
Treating stress and skin health together will allow the skin to clear itself quickly and completely at a faster rate as sources of stress are slowly removed. Lowering your stress levels will allow the skin to function and look its best, reducing the over-activity of both the blood vessels and oil-ducts within the skin.
Try These Tips to Reduce Stress and Look Your Best...
- Stick to your skincare regime. Even if you lack the motivation to do so, wash your face before bed and apply an SPF every morning. For best results, use one of our herbal, sulfate free cleansers and mineral based sunscreens.
- Drop the extractor and leave that pimple alone. Stress alters the skin’s natural ability to heal itself. The urge to pick, scratch, or rub will only make things worse and can create scars that last much longer than any typical blemish may. If you suffer from the occasional blemish, get quick relief from our Blemish Pen or try our Acne Control Serum for more active breakouts.
- Get your rest. The body needs time to recharge its batteries and perform cellular renewal. The more sleep you can get, the more your body can heal and renew. If insomnia or trouble sleeping strikes; try our Sleep Support Herbal Extract blend.
- Eat healthy. Avoid the 4-6 cups of coffee and sugars. When your body is hormonally off balance these can further complicate the body. To cleanse and support your system from the inside-out take our Skin Health Herbal Extract supplement daily or weekly and see your skin glow!
- Ease stress any way you can. Diet and exercise are very important to reduce stress but when burnout strikes and these aren't enough use our Body Ceutics Calm Bath & Body line or take our Stress Balance extract. These will assist your body in reducing stress to help create more balance and well-being.
There is a balance we all must find between everyday stress and the distractions that occur. Your skin will help you gauge how much stress your body can handle, so pay attention and check in regularly. If you experience a change from the usual or something more noticeable like Eczema or skin sensitivities then re-balance with proper stress reduction techniques and helpful products and supplements. Your body, mind and skin will thank you!